Wednesday, May 2, 2012

I'm Back!!!

#PapiBeatzForMVE

You're probably wondering what MVE stands for.  Right?  Well it's a title that doesn't but should exist: Most Valuable Engineer.  Music engineer to be specific.  The most important position after the artist, as far as the musical product itself, in my opinion.  You'd be surprised to see the work that goes on behind the scenes to bring you a quality listening experience.  It's not just about volume and left and right panning (well at least not in my world!).  Had some time to think last night while researching musical friends, enemies and strangers when I came up with the idea of giving you guys a Top Ten List on why I believe I'm going to be a force to be reckoned with in this competitive industry within the next few years:

  • Vocal Jesus - That's the name I earned from clients and my team through the crazy makeovers I've performed on recorded vocaltracks.  Without giving away my personal techniques (I'll do that when I really break through), I provide the best, precise pitch correction you can find in Chicago.  I'm not just talking about auto-tune either.  I have other means to make verses and especially choruses huge, tight and in tune.  If you record with me that's where my producer side can help bring your songs to new heights.  I have a great ear for harmonies and that seems to be something (from what clients tell me) a lot of engineers seem to lack.  All in all, if there's one thing I've mastered, it's the almighty vocal.  The most important part in a musical piece. 
  • I treat each song as if it'll be the next hit - 'nuff said.
  • My mixes MOVE - The secret is in the way I %#^$&* all of the @$#%^! in a song.  (sorry guys can't give that one away just yet!) Just listen to the links to the left and you'll hear what I'm talking about.
  • Right tools for the right job - You could record at a million dollar studio but if you get your tracks to the wrong engineer he/she could easily eq away the awesome qualities that $10,000 rare, used by Paul McCartney, recovered from WWII missile scraps microphone that you fell in love with.  Same goes with reverbs, delays, compressors etc.  Engineers have a lot of tools at their disposal nowadays but if they aimlessly use them then whats the point?  The two most important pieces of gear we have at Goodlife Studios are my ears and my brain.
  • Mix ain't done til the fat lady sings - Or more specifically when the client is beyond satisfied.  
  • I'm a Producer/Engineer! - Ok, so you know that an engineer is the dude that makes everything sound cool by turning knobs and pushing faders by now but also being a producer doesn't just mean I make beats (which I do pretty damn well).  A producer can play tons of different roles in a project.  I help rappers and singers alike with perfecting their verses through lyric writing and melody crafting.  When it comes to hooks, it's game over.  
  • Constantly researching - You can never know it all.  There's always something, new or old, you can learn to perfect your craft.  I bought a kindle last year for this very reason.  :)
  • Client Relationships - No, I'm not banging my clients!  But if they hear something in their head and I haven't magically reproduced it before they mention it (which I'm known to do often) then I will make sure I get that idea manifested onto the track.  Artists are paying for a service to reproduce their art in the best possible way, not just merely pressing record and tossing presets on tracks then calling it a finished product.
  • Versatility - I've worked on projects from blues, hip hop, indie, rock and reggaeton.  I have never stuck to one genre and don't plan to.  It's all music to me.  I just want it to sound great.
  • Signature Sound -  I strive to give the music I work on a sound that ppl can and have said "Did Papi Beatz mix this?"  I want to be the best.  I want to reinvent the sounds ppl hear.  I'm well on my way.  

Well, there you go.  I gotta get to the studio now so I'll leave you with this.  An awesome reggaeton song I produced recently.  Enjoy!  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...